Tuesday 6 January 2015

Happy New Year - 2015 woop woop!

Well it's been a while since I've had a chance to write any new blogs! I started a new entry back in July, but never had the time, or energy, to continue! So this is what I had started writing before I quit in the winter -

Summer's here... New job = no life!

As predicted, I ended up getting a new job in June that has taken over my life! Damn!

I've been working crazy shifts at a restaurant, well, I say restaurant, this place is unlike anywhere else I've worked in all my years as a chef!

It's a chain, which means lots of really ridiculous rules and regulations set out for everyone, these people are worse than the Environmental Health Dept!! The food is middle of the road (Far from fine dining), by my standards, and experience, so I'm just seeing it as I get to work with some funny people, and save some cash!

When I was interviewed, I was asked the question, "What made you apply for this job?" I said that I love Italian food, and wished to gain more experience in the cooking side.

The truth of it is though, I really needed a job as my savings were dwindling! I do love Italian food though, and hope to visit Italy one day :)

A typical shift is a split, with a two hour break in the afternoon, and finishing at some time around Midnight, or later. An example would be 10am - 3pm 5pm - 11.30pm (According to the rota)!

It's bloody hard work, I've never had blisters between my toes before, urgh, I'm grateful for those special Compeed blister plasters! My poor feet are taking a battering!

In six weeks I've lost a total of 8.6 lbs, even though I've not had the time, or energy to hit the gym! I'm literally working my ass off! I'm also not eating the food, I take my own lunches of tuna, crispbreads, and salads, though I only get to eat a proper dinner on days off..

I miss my gym buddies though, and I'm starting to get weak again :( NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Let's hope 'Muscle Memory' is a real thing!

We've had some gorgeous weather here in Cornwall lately, so if lunchtimes are quiet, the numbers are made up by letting everyone through the door in the evenings. The past two nights have been crazy! The ticket machines never stop, and the tab grabbers fill up within minutes! An upside to this is, if all the tables are full, they can't take any more orders. So it's safe to say that service is an absolute beast! Yet not always organised properly, pumping tickets through like there's no tomorrow, and crashing the kitchen! There is only so much each chef can do at any one time, so it's safe to say, this place is a bit of a shambles at times!

No comments: